What is Communication Support?
The public and CSOs across Cyprus can all benefit from the various communication activities under the Civic Space project.
By implementing communication activities, Civic Space aims to achieve the following:
Further increase the visibility of Civic Space and EU support to civil society by improving outreach and public engagement.
Foster visibility of CSOs' activities and outputs and increase their engagement with the community and other CSOs.
Increase CSOs' communication capacity directly by guiding them on how to create their communication strategies.
- CSOs’ visibility promoted through 4 Open Door Festivals (ODFs) organized between 2016-2019. 37 to 72 CSOs participated in each festival. Globally, 238 CSOs participated in 4 ODFs and realized more than 350 activities. 19 videos/films produced in the ODFs to promote CSOs. Specific CSO Fairs in Nicosia/Lefkoşa, Famagusta/Mağusa, Lefka/Lefke, Galateia/Mehmetçik, Iskele/Trikomo.
- Promotion of the rights-based approach through many videos/films production (see Civic space YouTube channel).
- Large use of social media (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube) to make the EU’s support to Civil Society visible.
- www.civicspace.eu website created.
- Work with the media: promote CSOs visibility in radio, tv, paper media. Collaborations with TV channels for broadcasting several videos produced by the project. BRT produced 8 documentaries on CSOs supported by the EU.
- Work with the private sector: promote innovative fundraising methods (e.g., crowdfunding), organize fund-raising training for CSOs, and promote Corporate Social Responsibility culture through workshops and training.
- Work with the youth: young people (even those under 18 years old) can get support from Grow Civic; support to CSOs that address issues related to young people and/or youth; bringing CSOs and university students together by facilitating the participation of CSOs in higher education career fairs and creating internship and volunteering opportunities in CSOs.
- Trainings on social media, digital activism, digital campaigns, and digital tools and post-training tailor made coaching sessions upon request.
For the new phase of the project (2021-2023), Civic Space is developing a communication strategy to make the EU funding for civil society more visible and to promote the role played by CSOs in the democratic changes and confidence-building measures. The communication strategy is made to increase the visibility and accountability of the project and disseminate information to the public about CSOs’ activities, achievements, roles, and participation in the democratic process.
The CSOs across Cyprus, the public bodies, the media, the private sector, and the youth, will be among the target groups of the communication component to develop a rights-based culture and to enhance civic actions visibility in Cyprus.
For upcoming events you can check our Events page
During the implementation of the project, Civic Space will develop specific communication strategies on some key issues to ensure outreach of specific project activities and components to specific target audiences. These specific communication strategies will be updated during the project implementation.Communication campaigns will be organized multiple times (2-4) a year in social media together with video series providing explicative information on the issue. The campaigns conducted by CSOs under the Grow Civic support program will be shared as well. During the project implementation process, you can follow the campaigns on Civic Space social media channels.
Useful and easy-to-follow self-learning materials, namely DIY guides, will be prepared. DIY guide methods such as mainstreaming guides will ensure ongoing utilization and decrease the tailor-made demand while serving for the sustainability of capacity building support after the end of the Project.
These tools will be determined and prepared in line with the needs of CSOs and activists. Because the needs are constantly changing surveys will be made from time to time to identify current needs.
Because the needs are constantly changing surveys will be made from time to time to identify current needs.
In addition, sectoral research and feedback from training sessions will play a key role in determining the need.